Council History

The Community Council has arisen from what were believed to have been the previous three parish councils of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel, Skenfrith and Rockfield all of which came into being on 4th December 1894 pursuant to the Parish Councils Act 1894.

The Llangattock meetings took place at Llangattock School and those in Skenfrith at the Board School, Norton.

In April 1935 following an Order of the Ministry of Health, the parish of Llangattock-Vibon-Avel United was established including the wards of Skenfrith and Rockfield.

Meetings at that time frequently took place at the Wellington Inn, Newcastle.

In 1972 pursuant to the Local Government Act of that year, civil parishes were in Wales replaced by community councils.

The first meeting of the Llangattock-Vibon-Avel United Community Council was held at Llangattock School on 4 April 1974.